August 26, 2009

Kinda Sappy But True


Last night was Back To School night at Ashley Hall. For those of you who are not familiar with the school it is an all girls school from Kindergarten thru the 12th grade. Eli, however, attends the Early Education Center or EEC as it is known, which allows both boys and girls from ages 2 to Pre-K. So I went to meet the teachers, tour the classrooms, and go over the class curriculums for the upcoming year. And although we have been a part of the AH family since Chapel was 2, I feel like this year is so completely different. Chapel has moved to a new building on the campus, has a new carpool line, goes to the cafeteria at lunch instead of having lunch brought to the classroom, and gets to enjoy a separate "big girl" playground. I could not be more proud of her and her ability to adapt to these new changes. Anyway, last night Jill Muti, the head of the school, gave the most inspirational speech - I think I got teary eyed at one point. And I am not one for inspirational speeches, but as I sat there listening she said so many things that made total sense. Jill said we have to guide our girls, but give them room to make mistakes. And we have to be role models and set examples for them in our daily lives so that they can develop confidence and become independent women. As parents, and especially busy mothers, I think we sometimes forget exactly how much our children can read from our expressions, our sighs, and our body language. Ms. Muti encouraged us to examine all of these as they are the biggest factors influencing our children. And I must say, it is a tall order to fill. To be patient, to listen, to make the time. The philosophy of the school and learning program is that parents with the combined support of the educators and curriculum, the girls (and boys) of AH will be equipped to handle whatever life brings to the table. Each day I feel more up to the challenge, and I just hope I can provide the love and support and stability each of my children need to reach their full potential. And I hope to do this with a smile on my face. And as my babies grow and learn I remind myself that I am still learning, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment