February 18, 2012

Here Comes The Hotstepper

Back in the fall, I decided Eli needed a new after school activity. I checked the recreation department and saw where basketball sign-ups were being offered as one of their winter activities. I sent out an email to three of my girlfriends that have boys the same age as Eli and suggested that we sign all the boys up, requesting they all be on the same team in the event we needed to rely on each other for carpooling, etc. They all agreed, and thus the Ninjas basketball team was born.

Now as you know, Eli is not always one to get excited about sports. During the practices he did not show much enthusiasm and was at times reluctant about attending. Fast forward to his first game and, oh my, did he catch me by surprise. Not only did I see my kiddo running up and down the court, I also witnessed a little man who tried to steal the ball and was not afraid of getting in the middle of the action. As a family, we were thrilled. Brett, as he always does, found the perfect pre-game pump up song to play for Eli, and thus the Hotstepper got his nickname. And, yes, we did make it a family tradition to play Here Comes the Hotstepper before each and every game!

Eli, number 4, keeping his eye on the ball and blocking the opponent.

Running up and down the court.
Showing off his mad muscles to his teammates.
Don't ge me wrong - my man still enjoyed sitting on the sidelines now and then. Here he is with his friend, Owen, taking a break.

The season ended this week with a cupcake and trophy party. He was SO PROUD of his trophy.
And he had two great coaches, Mr. Beran on the right and Owen's dad, Russ Mease on the left. Russ stepped in at the first practice and offered his coaching assistance!

Waving around his much earned trophy and entertaining the team.

No comments:

Post a Comment