August 10, 2010

Mi Amigos de Espana

I have been MIA lately. Not just on my blog but also at work. Home. Email. All those things that happen when you sit down in the morning or evenings and take time. But I have a perfectly wonderful excuse. My friend Marisa, her husband Gustavo and their two sons Aday and Noel are here visiting us from Madrid, Spain. Marisa and I met when we were 16 and she was our exchange student for 10 months. For 10 months we shared a room, clothes, food, talks and friends. It was the best experience I could have ever had in my teenage years. It opened me up to another culture, allowed me to travel to Spain several times and has created a long-lasting bond with her and her family. We have not seen each other in 5 years. The last time she came to visit Chapel was 11 months old and Marisa was four months pregnant. Our families have both multiplied considerably since then. Gustavo's first visit to the US was in January of this year and he, too, is excited to be spending his vacation in Charleston and Myrtle Beach. We still have 5 days left, but here are a few pics to update everyone on what we have been up. 

Brett cooked an awesome dinner on Friday night and we also invited our friends Andrea and Mike and their boys. Eight kids at the house on one night! I joked we officially had more kiddos than the Jolie-Pitts.
Gustavo is a fireman in Madrid so the Firetruck Museum seemed like a natural fit. Here are Aday and Noel driving the simulator. 
Chapel and Eli posing in front of a vintage fire engine. 
Our trip to the aquarium was a bit hit. The kids play so well together despite a language barrier. 
We arrived in Myrtle Beach on Tuesday and went to Broadway at the Beach. Johnny Rockets was a hit for dinner. Doesn't get more American than that!

And to top it off, Tuesday night is fireworks night at Broadway so that really added to the excitement. 
Tomorrow night we are off to my parents home - the home Marisa shared with us - so she can catch up with her American family and eat some of mom's famous cooking.....

No comments:

Post a Comment