August 15, 2009

I Scream, You Scream....

As parents, we try our best to make our kids happy, to show them a good time and teach them how to enjoy life. Brett and I are forever planning fun things to do: Disney World,  My Little Pony shows, dinosaur museums, pirate museums, gold mining, Chuck E Cheese, the Cabbage Patch - the list goes on and on. And while our kids love doing each of these things, I learned a valuable lesson last night. It is also the most simple, unplanned things that make them just as happy. Like buying an ice cream from the ice cream truck. When they heard the music from down the street, they starting jumping up and down as if it were Christmas morning and ran to the sidewalk looking from side to side to catch a glimpse. After what seemed like an eternity, the driver made his way to our house and the kids looked over all the choices printed on the side of the van before making their final decision. As I watched them sitting on the stairs eating their treats, it really was one of those "priceless" moments when you realize something so simple as a Spiderman ice cream can make a child just as happy as the biggest and best toy in the world. And I have to admit, my chocolate ice cream bar made me pretty happy, too. 






1 comment:

  1. It is the simple things in life that mean the most. Those are the things that will stick with you. Just keep spending the time with them like you are now and you will never regret it and they will never forget it. Mom

    ReplyDelete